As the leaves change color and the air turns crisp, there’s no better way to embrace the warmth of fall than with a comforting breakfast that celebrates the season. Pumpkin French toast, with its rich blend of spices and velvety pumpkin puree, is a delightful choice for seniors looking to start their day with a taste of autumn. Not only does it offer a burst of flavor, but it also provides essential nutrients that can benefit aging bodies. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to create this mouthwatering dish that’s sure to bring a smile to your loved one’s face.
Pumpkin French Toast
For the Pumpkin Batter
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk whole or 2% recommended
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- pinch salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
For the French Toast
- 8 slices bread thick slices work best, such as Texas Toast or Brioche
- butter or cooking spray for griddle or skillet
- Maple Syrup, Whipped Cream, and Chopped Nuts for serving optional
- Prepare the Pumpkin Batter:In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, eggs, milk, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and all the spices until well combined. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Preheat the Griddle or Skillet:Preheat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. You want it to be hot enough to cook the French toast but not too hot to burn it.
- Dip and Coat the Bread:Dip each slice of bread into the pumpkin batter, making sure to coat both sides evenly. Allow any excess batter to drip off.
- Cook the French Toast:Grease the preheated griddle or skillet with butter or cooking spray. Place the coated slices of bread onto the hot surface. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve and Enjoy:Once the French toast is cooked to your liking, transfer it to a serving plate. Serve hot with maple syrup drizzled over the top. You can also add a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of chopped nuts for extra flavor and texture.
- Optional Toppings:Get creative with your toppings! You can add a dusting of powdered sugar, a pat of butter, or a sprinkle of cinnamon for extra flavor. Fresh berries or sliced bananas also make a delicious addition.
- Enjoy Your Pumpkin French Toast:Enjoy your delicious homemade pumpkin French toast as a delightful fall breakfast or brunch treat. It's perfect for special occasions or whenever you want to savor the flavors of the season.
Feel free to adjust the spices and sweetness to suit your taste preferences. This recipe is versatile and can be customized to your liking.
Whether you’re sharing it with family or enjoying a quiet morning alone, this pumpkin French toast recipe brings the cozy charm of fall to your table, making it a wonderful addition to your menu!